My day off was super. The girls and I headed across to Detroit at about 9:30 am. Armed with credit cards and lattes, we were prepared to do some serious damage in the “D”. We started like kids in a candy store at Nordstrom Rack, as Bess and Andrea had never been there before. Or maybe it’s because it’s the first time in 6 years that the three of us have been “sans kiddos” on a shopping trip together?! I scored a pair of Coach sunglasses for almost 50% off regular price. The girls picked up Ed Hardy tee’s and Coach wedge sandals respectively. Nice start. We killed it a Somerset. Seriously we all did well and all managed to leave portions of our paycheck at Lululemon, Victoria’s Secret, Bath and Body Works, Sephora, Finish Line, Macy's and Express. Phwefff. Hungry anyone? We had a nice, late lunch at P.F. Chang’s (lettuce wraps!!) and then headed back to Canada, eh just in time to see our kids win their soccer game - George and Olivia are on the same team - so cool.
Yesterday I felt crap-o-la. I was tired and my head was hammering. I still managed to get to the gym which made me feel a bit better. I did sprints on the bike and mixed it up with a leg workout and core exercises. Nice sweat.
This morning I had a protien shake and a slice of whole wheat bread with PC Organics Raspberry Jam. I also drank two big glasses of water and took a spoonful of bee pollen hoping that I could have a more energetic and focused day. Maybe dehydration was my problem yesterday???
Mid morning snack was a Cocoa-Coconut Larabar and yogurt.
Lunch was a leftover turkey burger (no picture…) , a green bean/corn/cherry tomato salad that was inspired by Angela at Oh She Glows and almost a liter of water.
By midafternoon I needed something sweet so I snacked on watermelon cubes, sadly it wasn’t very sweet…and the darn headache was back. It can’t be dehydration….must definitely be sinus problems. Grrrrr.
I had plans to scoop up Andriana at home and head to the gym for a workout but those dissolved the second I walked in the door. Disaster zone. Andy, God bless him, he does his best and is super with the kids, but he doesn't manage to tidy up a THING before I get home, I swear. For example, the kids lunch was still on the picnic table outside and everyone of their shoes was strewn about the back yard. Inhale.....exhale...
So I ate my dinner and decided I'd reassess my gym plans after he returns from soccer with George. Dinner tonight was a Greek salad, compliments of my husband (he really isn't SO bad)
Yumm-o. OK, so the feta isn’t low fat and the pitas aren’t whole wheat but seriously , no self-respecting Greek family eats low fat feta. We buy authentic Macedonian feta that’s made with goats milk and is so creamy and salty you can spread it right on bread – pure heaven. As far as the pitas go, I’ve yet to find whole wheat Greek style pitas. If anybody EVER finds them, I need to be the first to know.
For dessert I had a handful of cherries and longed for more. Sadly, I'm allergic to them and break out in hives, so the handful will have to do.
I’m slowly getting all my stuff in order for our trip to NB. You’d think we were going for a decade. It’s awful. It seems that just as I’m about to go away on a trip – I run out of everything. Today I ran out on my lunch to Windsor Beauty Supply to get more shampoo and conditioner – I’ve got about one wash left in my bottle at home. Luck was on my side as they had a special today. I got the 1 litre shampoo AND conditioner for $40. Score!
On my agenda for tonight…maybe squeeze in a run, clean Andriana’s stroller to get it ready to sell on First Class along with the high chair (need to fund my recent shopping spree). Hopefully these two items will net me a tidy profit.
Hi there- I just came across your blog through a post (i think) on Angela's. What drew me to your site was that I like you, recently read a book (in Defense of Food, in my case) that inspired me to cut out most processed foods (with the exception of minimally processed things like yogurt, nut butters, etc).
ReplyDeleteI have a question for you regarding your feelings on Protein powders. Why have you chosen to include these in your diet while cutting out most other procecssed foods? Do you feel that they are not highly processed or the benefits outweigh the means? (I'm not too well versed on their manufacturing processes). The reason I ask is that I go back and forth when deciding whether to include these in my diet (even something like Amazing Grass).
Thanks for you insight!
Thanks for your comment Holly. It would be hypocritical of me to say that I’ve entirely cut out processed foods – I haven’t. That being said, I have definitely become more aware and certainly try to eat more “whole” foods and limit the processed things after reading “The Eat Clean Diet”
ReplyDeleteFor me, protein powder is still an important part of my diet, taken post-workout to encourage muscle repair and growth. I find that my daily meals tend to favour veggies and fruit, and I some days I feel like I probably haven’t had enough protein. Drinking that shake ensures that I’ve ingested enough protein to enable my muscles to repair and grow which will in turn boost my metabolism as I have a goal right now to drop about 10 pounds.
All of this being said, I have found an organic powder that I really enjoy. It’s North Coast Naturals 100% ISO Powder in Chocolate. It is processed , but I’m proud that this product has allowed me to move towards more natural ingredients .